1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 ounces of red food coloring
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Turn the oven on to pre-heat to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the shortening, sugar, and vanilla using a mixer.
- Add the eggs and continue beating with the mixer.
- Add the cocoa and the food coloring, continue beating.
- Add the flour and salt, alternating with buttermilk
- Mix the soda and vinegar, pour into batter, and stir with a spoon
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Start making the frosting while the cake bakes, if you like.
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook the flour and milk until thick. Allow the flour to heap above the spoon slightly. The thickness of the cooked mixture should be like a thick paste. It can get lumpy if you don't stir constantly (a wire whisk can be helpful here). Let it cool COMPLETELY, stirring several times as it cools.
- Cream the sugar, butter, and vanilla. It should look almost like whipped cream. Don't stop until it is really light in color. Add the flour/milk mixture a little at a time while beating it with a mixer. Beat it until the ingredients are well combined.
- Spread the frosting on the fully cooled cake (if the cake is warm, the frosting will melt).